Thanks to all those who turned out for the LES walk -- it was my pleasure to meet you all. I hope you found something tasty along the way. I take it as a good sign that people trailed off here and there, stopping where their stomachs called them to stay.
Here's a link to a write up of last year's version of the walk. The only substantial difference is that we actually swung through Ferrara's (on Grand) and Egg Custard King (at Grand and Forsyth). At Ferrara's we talked briefly about the origin of the word "cannoli" (from cannolo, meaning "little tube") and its origin as a food: did you know cannoli were originally fertility symbols?
Dash Dogs, the hot dog place we visited last year, has been replaced by the unfortunately named Neighburrito.
One of our residents recommended Jacob Riis's landmark 1890 study of immigrant cultures on the Lower East Side, How the Other Half Lives, and asked me to link to the text. So, here you go. I find the description of Mulberry Street (especially the "Mulberry Bend," the point below Bayard where the street makes a dramatic turn alongside Columbus Park) to be especially fun as a resident of this neighborhood.
Are there places you would have added to the tour? I'm looking for the kind of place where $5 will get you a sweet treat or a cheap meal and leave you with a little change.
No comments:
Post a Comment