
We have been living a lie. Since September I have been telling my friends about my intimate knowledge of the 4-5-6-subway line below our building. I have even gone as far as claiming to be able to tell the difference between the local and express trains. I told this story jokingly until a few weeks ago when I learned we have been living a lie.
While looking through a Sanborn land map at school I saw that the 4-5-6 train does not run under our building but in fact the J-M-Z has been the source of the noise and vibration.
Look at the map and you'll see the 4-5-6 runs directly down Lafayette. The J-M-Z goes down Kenmare then nearly makes a 90-degree turn south, directly under our building down Centre Street.
2 comments:
Where to begin? I am actually a bit upset. Ive been telling people the same thing all this time, but even more so is the fact that its what I've been telling myself. In a way, I was almost proud to think it was the 4-5-6. I feel a sense of nostalgia because it's the line recognize as 400 Broome's connection to points afar. Yes it shakes the entire building, and people on lower floors may consider it as an "something to get used to" at very the least. However, I'm almost comforted by its baritone lull, and its hard to imagine life without it.
Yet now I know the truth. These are lines I hardly ever take(if at all)! Now, I'm presented with some very troubling choices. Should I start taking the J-M-Z more often to compensate for my lack of connection? Or should i cry out in outrage every time I feel the alien vibes? Or even, do i stop procrastinating and get back to studying!
I doubt that taking the J-M-Z will help me, because i dont have anywhere to go that way. And, I doubt that either line will care if associate one or the other with my personal back/brain massager. Therefore, I should probably just get back to studying. Aha.
At any rate, thanks Ryan for the info. I hope that you aren't as upset as I am.
Thanks for posting this, Ryan! And for the map, especially.
Jon, I love your phrase "baritone lull." I feel the same way, though we're far up enough on the east side of the bldg that we only hear the dull rumble late at night or early in the morning when not much else is going on.
Post a Comment