Thursday, September 3, 2009

Meet your Faculty Affiliates: Ben Sachs (Bioethics, Health, and Science)


Ben Sachs, the Faculty Affiliate for the Bioethics, Health, and Science Stream in the Residential College, has a joint appointment in NYU's Environmental Studies Program and the Center for Bioethics. We asked him a few questions by way of introduction:

1. Where are you from? How long have you been in New York or at NYU?

I'm originally from San Diego. I moved to New York just before this semester started.

2. What are your professional interests? What courses do you teach?

My background is in philosophy, with a specialization in bioethics. Within bioethics, I'm especially interested in the question of how we ought to distribute health care and who should have to pay for it (so I'm very interested in what's going on in Congress these days!). I will be teaching an environmental ethics class each semester here at NYU, and I might teach bioethics at some point too.

3. Do you have publications you'd like residents to know about?

Speaking of the distribution of health care, here's a short opinion piece I wrote that just came out.

4. What are one or two key things you'd like to do this year with your stream?

I'd like to arrange for us to tour the Kimmel Center for Stem Cell Biology, and I'm also interested in taking a group to see Surrogates when it comes out.

Thanks!

FYI, Ben plans to join us tomorrow for the trip to Governors Island. If you're interested in learning more about his plans for the Bioethics, Health, and Science Stream, catch up with him there!

No comments: