
Brian Gill, the FA for our Sounds Stream, is a clinical assistant professor of vocal performance in Steinhardt.
1. Where do you come from? And how long have you been in NYC / at NYU?
I grew up mostly in North Carolina, but have lived in Texas, New York (twice), Colorado, Kentucky, and Paris, France. I have been in NYC since 2003 when I took a job teaching at Pace University. The next year I got a job as an adjunct at NYU and in 2006 was hired here full-time.
2. What are your professional interests? What courses do you teach?
2. What are your professional interests? What courses do you teach?
At first, my studies were in double bass, but I switched to vocal performance soon after. My training has mostly been in classical music/opera, but I have also performed professionally in jazz, music theatre, country and rock/funk. As often as I can I like to combine my bass playing and singing, but it is fairly difficult to do in the opera world!
I am a complete vocal nerd. During my Masters degree, thanks to my voice teacher, Dr. Barbara Doscher, I developed an intense interest in voice science. I continued to study the anatomy and physiology of the voice as well as acoustics. My work now involves acoustic analysis of the voice with a focus on discovering the most effective resonance strategies (pretty nerdy!). I teach private voice lessons and two graduate level courses in Vocal Pedagogy.
Above all else ... I LOVE music and its uniting force in the world!
3. Do you have any publications?
3. Do you have any publications?
I have a published dissertation, A Singer's Guide to the Solo Vocal Literature of Maximilien d'Ollone and several articles on various topics in the voice world. [Ed note: Watch Brian explain why singers should warm up!]
4. What are some of the things you plan to do with your stream this semester?
4. What are some of the things you plan to do with your stream this semester?
At our first meeting, Savetrie (the wonderful RA with whom I am working!) and I plan to assess the interests of the group and plan things around that. We have discussed a jazz brunch at the Blue Note, a trip to the MET to see an opera, perhaps in conjunction with a discussion with one of my students who sings there, and a composer series, to name a few possibilities.
Thanks!
Thanks!
No comments:
Post a Comment