Sunday, September 6, 2009

Meet Your Faculty Affiliates: Lauren Kaminsky (Visual Culture, Film, and Media)



Lauren Kaminsky
is an historian of Modern Europe on the Gallatin faculty. She also leads the Visual Culture, Film, and Media stream in the ResCollege @ Broome.

Where do you come from? And how long have you been in NY / at NYU?

I was born in Texas, I grew up in the south and midwest, and I went to college at the University of Illinois. When I moved to New York nine years ago for graduate school, I had no idea that I would fall in love with New York and make it my permanent home.

What are your professional interests?

My research focuses on sex and morality in the Soviet Union in the Stalin-era. As a historian, I examine a variety of sources -- including novels, poems, memoirs, letters, speeches, laws, government memos, and films -- in order to understand how official ideology shaped everyday life and vice versa. I teach interdisciplinary courses on politics, history, literature, writing, and gender and sexuality studies.

Do you have publications you'd like residents to know about?

In addition to my scholarly writing, I am proud to contribute to the excellent online film journal Reverse Shot.

What are some of the things you plan to do with your stream this semester?

The magnificent Meagan Watson and I are planning to explore a wide variety of visual culture with our stream this year. We look forward to going to movie premieres, experimental underground film screenings, museums and galleries. But we also look forward to hearing from you! Attend our first stream meeting on the 16th and let us know what you would like to do!

Thanks!

No comments: