Thursday, September 9, 2010

Meet your RA's: Pandora Yee, 3rd Floor


Pan is the RA on the 3rd Floor and the RA for the Laboratory Stream!

1. Where are you from? How long have you been in NYC? At NYU?
I’m from Canada! Grew up in Vancouver and later found my way to Toronto before coming to the big apple. I am pretty new and have only started living in NYC in 2009 in pursuit of my Master’s.

2. What program are you enrolled in? What's a favorite aspect of your studies? What are your plans after you receive your degree?
I’m in my second and final year at Silver School of Social Work pursuing my Masters of Social Work. My favorite aspect of my studies is definitely the clinical aspect where I have the opportunity to gain and enhance my experiences in different areas with a huge range of people.

I am very interested in working with young children. At this point, I’m still at a crossroad of whether or not I should stay in the big apple, go back to Canada or venture somewhere else in the world. Guess I’ll just have to see which doors I want to open when the time comes.

3. How would you like to foster floor community this year?
I plan on enhancing floor community by creating both in house and community based events. Since we all have very different schedules, I intend to create programs at all different time/dates to accommodate everyone’s schedule. There will be active/energetic events, mouth watering eating events to rewarding residences with some backrubs from Stressbuster. All the casual and fun programs will bring the floor together and grow while leaving room to bring ideas from my floor to life!

4. What are a few of the things you'd like to do with your stream?
I’m in the Laboratory Stream with FA Burt Goldberg. This stream is pretty new but I plan on making this the most exciting stream! From checking out local museums, technology labs, IMAX shows to hosting our own LAN party! New York has many hidden secrets that we will be sure to scoop out!

1 comment:

Selima said...

Meet Your RA’s: Selima Jumarali, 8th floor

Selima is the RA on the 8th floor and is also the RA for the Media Stream.

1. Where are you from? How long have you been in NYC? At NYU?

I was born in New York and spent the last fifteen years in Florida, four of which were at the University of Miami. I have been at NYU for a full year now, having completed the first year of my Masters.

2. What program are you enrolled in? What's a favorite aspect of your studies? What are your plans after you receive your degree?

I am a rising second-year Master’s student in the Higher Education Administration program in Steinhardt. I am also a Graduate Student Employee in the Center for Student Activities, Leadership and Service, where I serve as a Club Advisor and on the Service Team.
As cheesy as it may sound, I love to learn and plan to be a professional student. I may get a taste of the working world, possibly in higher education and/or in the non-profit sector, but I’m not entirely sure yet. What I do know, however, is that I am super passionate about social justice.

3. How would you like to foster floor community this year?

I want residents to have a sense of ownership over the floor community, to be empowered to create a safe, comfortable living environment, and to generate programs that cater to their interests. I plan to do a lot of quick and fun (with food, of course!) events on the floor so that everyone gets to know each other better. I think that familiarity with our neighbors is one of the key steps to building community. I also want to get out and explore New York! I think that we sometimes take living in New York for granted, especially when stressed or bogged down with work, but I want to create easy, convenient opportunities to get to know the city – especially the underground happenings!

4. What are a few of the things you'd like to do with your stream?

I would like to explore what media means to stream members, both through how we express ourselves through media and how we perceive outside ourselves through media. Some of the great ideas that have come up include a Film Series, a panel discussion on Islam in the media, and a live version of the Approval Matrix (like in NY Magazine)!

5. What is your greatest passion in life?

I think that my greatest passion is learning, which I love to do through conversations (especially over food). I am currently very inspired by issues of (in)equity, and I am always open to a conversation about social justice!!!