Monday, November 28, 2011

Resturant Review: Quan Sushi


By Katherine Corson

Yay, Friday! I love Fridays mainly because I don’t have class, so it’s my day to relax and regroup from the rest of the week. And this Friday I decided to regroup with some sushi from Quan sushi. This sushi joint is great for getting a cheap quick sushi fix. For $8.20, they give you miso soup, salad with ginger dressing, and 2 rolls of sushi. I also ordered through Seamless Web and applied a 10% off coupon code they emailed me, making my grand total with tax 8.11. Pretty good bang for your buck if you ask me.


Although the soup and salad are rather standard, they did have some high points. The miso soup stock had a good level of saltiness but perhaps too salty for some. The seaweed was soft but not soggy, while the tofu unfortunately was nearly non-existent. The scallions, although few and far between, did add an interesting texture and flavor contrast. The ratio of ingredients to broth leaned a bit too heavily toward the broth, but given the price it met my expectations. And while the salad ingredients are unremarkable they did absorb the ginger dressing well. The dressing, although a bit watery, also provided an excellent kick of ginger and a nice mix of flavors.


And finally, and most importantly, the sushi.


I opened the takeout container to the overwhelming aroma of wasabi, which unfortunately doesn’t appeal to me all that much. However, the sushi itself made up for it. While some cheap sushi places tend to use too much rice to compensate for the lack of fish Quan absolutely does not fall victim to such sushi cheapening schemes.

First I had a Philadelphia Roll, a personal favorite of mine as I grew up in the Philadelphia metropolitan area. The ratio of salmon to cream cheese leaned a little more toward the cream cheese, but the cucumber was an excellent texture breakup between the softness of the cream cheese and the salmon. Additionally, the smokiness of salmon really shone through in this roll.

Then I had a Tuna Avocado roll, which definitely exceeded my expectations. The roll included an ample amount of avocado that blended nicely with the tuna. And the tuna itself was rather simple but still fresh and delicious, which is key for sushi.

So, next time you’re looking for a cheap and quick sushi fix, I'd say Quan Sushi is your best option within 500 feet of Broome.

1 comment:

BWaterman said...

We've always used Mikaku (on Kenmare, right behind our building) as our cheap sushi go-to. How does Quan stack up against theirs? Anyone?