Saturday, March 17, 2012

February from London

by Carl Cota-Robles
February 27, 2012

Hey ya!

It's Carl from London again.  Since my last blog post I've actually done a whole lot more.  Not really as much as I'd like to have done at this point though.  And I've been really disorganized about planning trips.  But here's all the cool stuff I've done in the past couple of weeks.

First, a trip to Oxford.  That was pretty cool.  It was my first excursion outside of London and into somewhere else in England.  I got to go on a tour to see all the different colleges and the Christ Church, which is where some of the staircase scenes in Harry Potter were filmed, and also where the Great Hall is based off of.  I have a picture of me in that Great Hall.

My next major trip was to Bath and Stonehenge.  That was really awesome.  Stonehenge was really surprising, because it was literally right in the middle of the highway.  We were just suddenly driving by and saw it, and then the bus pulled over and we went closer to see it.  Normally you have to pay to get in but NYU paid for us so that was nice.  But we only spent like an hour there and even that was a little long because it was basically just go there, take a picture, leave.  So yeah.

Then we visited Bath after Stonehenge.  That was really awesome.  We got to see all the old Roman architecture in the Baths.  They were actually below ground, because the whole city of Bath has been raised up one level since the Romans left to help prevent flooding.  The baths were also still really warm water, I didn't go in it, but I could see the steam coming off the water and I could feel the heat when I put my hand close.

And then I guess the most recent trip I'll tell you all about was my trip to Stratford Upon Avon.  That city was awesome.  Seriously my favorite English City I've visited so far.  It was so pretty and I got to see all the Shakespearean stuff there since he lived there as a kid.  I'm seriously tempted to go back sometime before I leave though, the city was just that awesome.  I didn't even get to see that much of it either, we went on a fairly quick tour, and then we saw a performance of Measure for Measure, which was awesome, but after that we had to leave like half an hour later so I didn't get to explore much of the city.  Actually probably my biggest regret is I didn't get to see the inside of Shakespeare's house that he lived in as a kid.  I saw the outside, but we didn't have time to go in.  So I hope to maybe get to see that eventually.  I also think it would've been cool to the inside of at least one of the houses he lived in as an adult, which I got to see it from the outside but again we didn't have time to go in.  But the one place I did go into and saw was where Shakespeare was buried, so that was awesome.  It even had a curse on it.  I took a picture.

Also, sometime in the last month, for anyone who's a Doctor Who fan, I saw the Tardis.  Yeah!

That's all for now then, I guess, till next month!
--Carl








No comments: