Thursday, April 12, 2012

Fiat Cafe: Great Italian Food Sans Mulberry Street Prices


by Kat Corson

One of the great things about living at Broome is being at the crossroads of so many neighborhoods: Soho, Nolita, Chinatown, LES and Little Italy.  One of the not so great things is that the prices in Little Italy are designed for tourists on tourist budgets, not college students on college budgets.  Moreover, the food there is really nothing that great.

I have recently discovered a great Italian place in Little Italy - Fiat Cafe!  It has the great chic ambiance of a typical Nolita joint.  I'm a sucker for atmosphere, and this place definitely has it.  I always love places with big windows they can open during spring/summer to allow for an indoor/outdoor dining experience.  And despite being so close to expensive Little Italy it maintains very reasonable prices.  The most expensive thing on the menu is $15 for a special entree.  I tend to go for the paninis here since they are all around $7, which is a very reasonable price for a Panini.


My friend Rob and I decided to go for the absolutely delicious Grilled Chicken Panini with avocado, arugula, asiago cheese and roasted tomatoes vinaigrette on sour dough bread.  I mean, come on, how does that not sound delicious?  It also comes with an enjoyable side salad of arugula with balsamic vinegar - the acid of the salad definitely complements the sandwich.  I especially enjoyed the vinaigrette because it really helped bring out the flavor of the chicken as well as being an interesting combination with the asiago.  Additionally, as a Panini on sourdough, it could have been dry or too wet with too much vinaigrette, but this Panini had the perfect balance.


Overall, I absolutely love Fiat CafĂ© - it’s inexpensive, has a great atmosphere for a casual hang out with a friend or a cute date, and the paninis are delicious!  I would definitely recommend checking it out - it’s on Mott between Kenmare and Spring, so stop in soon!



No comments: