Join us as we kick off the third year of Broome's Downtown Book Club. Each semester we choose one, or sometimes two, books to read together. Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, graphic novels: we've read a little of everything, though most of our titles center on New York, often the downtown neighborhoods we adjoin.Last year we read Junot Diaz's The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, Timothy Gilfoyle's The Pickpocket's Tale, Alan Moore's Watchmen, and Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.
The club determines our reading by putting suggestions forward and then voting; I order the books courtesy of the Faculty Fellows in Residence program. You only have to pay for them if you take one but fail to show up for the discussion. We always eat when we meet.
Other questions? Feel free to ask them in the comments section. Otherwise, join us Tuesday, 9/22, at 8pm in the Broome Room!
4 comments:
Will an email be sent out about what books are chosen? I'd love to take part in the book club but I can't make tonight's meeting.
Yes -- I'll send out a note about the selection we choose tonight. Each time we meet I'll do the same thing in case we have new members who'd like to join.
If you can't make it tonight but you'd like to put forward suggestions for titles or times to meet, please do it here!
i can't make it at 8--i have night classes but i would love to be involved! any chance that some future meetings might be later at night?
It looks like our first meeting will be on a Sunday evening, probably around 6 or 7. Early enough to end before College Board starts.
Send me your email so I can add you to our mailing list. bew2@nyu.edu
Post a Comment