Saturday, September 4, 2010

Meet Your RA's: Rob Eckard, 2nd floor RA


Rob is the 2nd floor RA. He is also the RA for the Performance Stream.

1. Where are you from? How long have you been in NYC? At NYU?


I was born and raised in Arlington, TX, which is part of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. I have a tattoo of Texas on my wrist, so I can point out the exact spot if you’re interested. I’ve been in NYC and at NYU for less than a month, having just spent four years in Boston at Emerson College studying towards my Bachelor of Arts in Theatre Education.



2. What program are you enrolled in? What's a favorite aspect of your studies? What are your plans after you receive your degree?


I’m studying at Steinhardt for my Master of Arts in Educational Theatre in Colleges and Communities. My main area of interest is Applied Theatre, specifically Theatre of the Oppressed. I enjoy working with people of all ages to use theatre as a vehicle for discussion and, hopefully, social change. That said, one of my favorite aspects of my studies is that I get a free pass to drop my reservations and act like a kid for a greater part of my day.

I’m not sure where the next few years will take me. I’m a licensed theatre teacher in Massachusetts, but would love to stay in the city and do community outreach for a local theatre.


3. How would you like to foster floor community this year?


I hope that we can all just remember to be good neighbors to each other. Say hello to people when you see them in the hall and introduce yourself. Take out the ear buds, pocket the Blackberry and make some real connections with the people around you.


4. What are a few of the things you'd like to do with your stream?


I have some exciting weekly events planned for all of us, including piano concerts, dance lessons, game and movie nights. Free food and admission at most of these events as well. Aside from that, let me know if you have any ideas for things you want to do in or outside the hall. Each RA is given a budget to use with the floor, help me decide where that money goes!

5. What is your biggest pet peeve?

Child leashes.

No comments: