by Mike Vergara
I’ve been travelling during the weekends recently, and I’ve
decided to focus my blogging on these places that are easy to get to from
London. First up, is
Bruges, Belgium
Bruges (also spelled Brugge) is a sleepy, little town full
of chocolate and history. It is often used as the backdrop in movies because
every little street or canal looks like it could be used for a romantic movie
or a medieval town. Very few tourists were here when we passed by on the way
back from Amsterdam (another blog post), but English (in addition to French and
German) is spoken as main language. Now onto the chocolate - this was the
cheapest and highest quality ones I have ever bought – I spent about 20 euros
on probably 100 pieces of hand made truffles, pralines, and marzipan
chocolates, which would probably have cost more than three times that amount in
the UK or USA. Definitely worth spending a full day or two here, but since the
city is so small, after the chocolate buying spree has ended – and it will
after your 8th free sample of another store’s “best” champagne
truffles – all you can do is get on that train or bus and try not to eat all
the chocolates on the way back home. Weekend fun rating: B+/A-
Every street in the historical center looked like this or
the next picture.


No comments:
Post a Comment