Lately I have seen several of my friends check-in on Foursquare to Georgetown Cupcake or Instagram photos of their sweet treats. As an NYC cupcake connoisseur (and believe me, I have tried a TON of cupcakes in the city), I had to check it out on my way home from school.
The cupcake store is very clean, bright, and airy with high ceilings. It definitely felt SoHo chic. I especially liked the choice of the pink box, as it really represents SoHo chic. The style of the cupcake shop certainly matched the stylish cupcakes!
At first I was a bit hesitant about the frosting. I have always been a fan of sugar based frosting, so the perfectly shaped marshmallow frosting slightly perplexed me in my approach. I ended up purchasing a chocolate mint cupcake for $3, a standard price of an NYC cupcake (unless you go to Sugar Sweet Sunshine in the Lower East Side, which sells their cupcakes for $1.75).
I took a bite, paused, and enjoyed. It was actually very good, despite my hesitation about the frosting. I don't particularly enjoy heavy cupcakes (like those at Crumbs), but the airy frosting in combination with the light yet moist cake made for a satisfying but not heavy cupcake. My favorite surprise of the mint frosting was that it had a nice kick of cream cheese after the initial bite of mint.
I also could not get over how amazingly courteous the service was. The cashier was really very polite, sweet and friendly when I asked about the cupcakes. The person who gave me my cupcake was also incredibly polite and friendly about providing a box or a bag (I went green and just took the cupcake). Never before have I received that high quality of service while purchasing a cupcake.
Although I still think Sugar Sweet Sunshine’s Lemon cupcake remains my all-time favorite, perhaps a few more trials of Georgetown Cupcake could change my mind. We’ll see.



No comments:
Post a Comment