Saturday, September 4, 2010

Meet your RA's: Rahil Rangwala , 5th Floor



Rahil is the 5th floor RA and is also the RA for the Adventure Stream.

1. Where are you from? How long have you been in NYC? At NYU?

I grew up in Bombay, India - left just a few days before I turned 18. So if every once in while you hear my Indian accent come out, don’t get shocked

I’ve been in the NYC area since 2001, but lived in Manhattan since 2004. I’ve lived in Tribeca, UES, Midtown East, East Village and now Nolita. So far the East Village has been my favorite neighborhood (but I think Nolita might change that).



2. What program are you enrolled in? What's a favorite aspect of your studies? What are your plans after you receive your degree?

I'm in my second year at NYU Wagner and pursuing my Masters of Public Administration with a focus on social entrepreneurship and international development.

I love the passion that everyone in my program brings to class. Theories of change are very personal beliefs, and I am grateful for the opportunity to learn from my extremely passionate peers. And of course Wagner being in the heart of New York gives me the opportunity to interact with some of the cutting edge practitioners in my field.

I’m very interested in the solutions that are found at the intersection of the public and private sectors. I’m hoping to work at a social venture capital firm after I graduate, either in London or somewhere in Asia.



3. How would you like to foster floor community this year?

Community is not something you can fake. It’s going to consist of reaching out and getting to know your neighbors, taking the few seconds of just saying hello when you run into them on the street. Living in a residence hall is a great opportunity to learn from people with different backgrounds and experiences. It would be a shame to squander it.

I’m here to provide the structure to create these interactions. The rest is up to you guys!



4. What are a few of the things you'd like to do with your stream?

How lucky am I to be in the Adventure Stream!? Maeve Adams (the FA) is fantastic and we have a great set of programs (from Trapeze school to museums to Broadway) for the Fall.

But what has me really psyched is the enthusiasm I’ve seen from everyone in my stream. People have such great ideas and I’m looking forward to some awesome co-programming.



5. What has been your favorite travel destination so far?

Bali will always have a special place in my heart. If there is one place you have to see before you die is Ubud, Bali. If you have an hour to kill, stop by and lets swap travel stories.

No comments: