Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Meet your RAs: Meagan Watson (3rd floor)


Meagan Watson is the 3rd floor RA and co-coordinator of the Visual Culture, Film, and Media stream.


1. Where are you from? How long have you been in NYC? At NYU?


I was born and raised in West Texas, but have lived in New York for the past five years. I’ve been at NYU since September 2004, with a brief period of separation between my undergraduate and graduate studies.


2. What graduate program are you enrolled in? What's a favorite aspect of your studies? What are your plans after you receive your degree?


Currently, I’m a Master’s candidate in the Cinema Studies department at Tisch. My favorite aspect of my studies is the filmic and cultural literacy it provides. Images are the language of our past and moving images the language of our future. To study media is to study a beast that has the ability to define social structures, influence cultures, and shape individuals. And that’s pretty staggering when you think about it.

After receiving my degree, I plan to stay in New York and work in film and television development.


3. How would you like to foster floor community this year?


My floor is an embarrassment of riches. Through our interactions, I have discovered that each and every one of my residents is a worthwhile human being with a unique voice. My goal this year is to encourage those voices to join in dialogue. By creating an open and engaging environment, I believe our floor community will follow naturally.



4. What are a few of the things you'd like to do with your stream?


I’m looking forward to everything from festivals to premiers, mainstream to avant-garde screenings, and museums to interactive events. I can honestly say that every event will be something special. This is all thanks to the incomparable Lauren Kaminsky.

However, we are more than open to your input. So feel free to bring any ideas to our first stream meeting on Wednesday, Sept 16th.


Thanks!

No comments: